Registration & Registration Changes
This page contains details on registering for the fall semester as well as the process for making registration changes after your initial registration is submitted.
Meeting Your Advisor during Orientation for Registration
You will meet your first year advisor and associate advisor during Orientation to register for your fall term classes.
Welcome Email from Your Advisor
Your advisor will be sending you an email welcome message by August 25, with information about him/herself and specific instructions for meeting during Orientation week. If you do not receive the email by August 25, email Dean Elizabeth Young (email@example.com).
Initial Advising Group Meeting
Your advisor will indicate when your group will hold its first meeting in the welcome message. This is an initial group meeting to meet your advisor, associate advisor and the other students in your advising group and to arrange individual registration meetings. This is scheduled for Tuesday, August 31, 1-3pm.
Individual Registration Meetings
You will meet with your advisor individually to register the week of August 30. Most meetings will take place Tuesday, August 31 – Thursday, September 2. All first-year students will be registered by 5pm on Thursday, September 2. Please note that it doesn’t matter which day you complete this process. The class assignments are not first-come, first-serve so there is no rush.
The following days and times are available during first-year Orientation for you to schedule your registration meetings:
- Wednesday, September 1: before 10:30am and 4-6pm
- Thursday, September 2: 11-5pm
Before You Begin to Register
Check your Online Advising Folder to review any pending credit based on AP, International exams, transfer credit and results from the FEE to help you determine which subjects to consider this fall. Read the detailed descriptions of the GIRs to learn more detailed information about these and other discovery subjects.
Fall Registration Instructions and Procedures
Beginning on Monday, August 30, you may initiate online registration for the classes you plan to take this fall. Complete information about how to register can be found on the Registrar’s website and you can refer to the Online Registration Student Manual for step-by-step instructions, including screenshots illustrating how to use the online registration system. You will finalize registration when you meet with your advisor.
Finalizing Your Online Registration
You must be fully registered for your fall classes by 5:00 pm (EDT) on Thursday, September 2.
- BRING YOUR LAPTOP to your registration meeting. Having electronic access to your Online Advising Folder and your online Registration Form is necessary. Detailed registration instructions can be found on the Registrar’s website.
- You will fill out the online registration form and discuss class selections with your advisor.
- Once you and your advisor agree on your fall semester classes, your advisor will approve your online registration.
- You must then SUBMIT YOUR REGISTRATION form.
- Failure to submit your online registration by 5pm on Thursday, September 2, will mean that you will not get a class schedule to review.
Special Instructions for Learning Communities
If you will be participating in a learning communities this Fall, you and your advisor will receive special instructions about registering for classes.
- Experimental Study Group (ESG): Questions should be directed to Dr. Paola Rebusco 617-324-7773.
- Concourse: You will be registered by your Concourse advisor. Questions should be directed to Ms. Paula Cogliano, 617-253-2300.
- Terrascope/Mission 2025 (12.000, Solving Complex Problems): You are automatically registered for 12.000 Solving Complex Problems; it will already appear on your Online Registration Form. Questions should be directed to Ms. Elise Chambers, 617-253-4074.
- DesignPlus: You will be registered by your DesignPlus advisor. Questions should be directed to Mr. Paul Pettigrew
Checking Your Class Schedule
- On Friday, September 3, you can check your class schedule on WebSIS.
- Your schedule is only available online until September 10. This online schedule includes the dates, times, etc. for each subject for which you registered. You should print out your schedule or keep a written copy.
Switching recitations or sections within a subject (i.e., moving from one 8.01 recitation to another): Each Department controls the process for switching recitations.
- See the Registrar’s site for information on understanding your schedule and how to change recitation sections.
You are responsible for ensuring that your registration is accurate and properly reflects the classes that you are attending this term. Once your Online Registration is submitted and aproved by your advisor, be sure to check your status of registration on WebSIS well before Add and Drop Date each term so that you can make corrections as needed before the given deadline.
If you need to add or drop a subject, you have to submit an Add/Drop/Change form. Please pay close attention to the Add and Drop deadlines on the Academic Calendar, as registration changes must be submitted by these deadlines.
The Registrar’s website provides complete instructions on adding or dropping a class.
For Fall 2021, these details are:
- Add Date: October 8, 2021
- Drop Date: November 18, 2021
Failure to pay attention to posted deadlines will have academic and financial consequences.