Meeting Your Advisor during Orientation for Registration
You will meet your first year advisor and associate advisor during Orientation to register for your fall term classes.
Your advisor will be sending you an email welcome message by August 22, with information about him/herself and specific instructions for meeting during Orientation week. If you do not receive the email by August 22, email Dean Elizabeth Young (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Your advisor will indicate when your group will hold its first Zoom meeting in the welcome message. This is an initial group meeting to meet your advisor, associate advisor and the other students in your advising group and to arrange individual registration meetings.
You will meet with your advisor to register on either Tuesday, August 25 or Wednesday, August 26.
Before You Begin to Register
Check your Online Advising Folder to review any pending credit based on AP, International exams, transfer credit and results from the FEE to help you determine which subjects to consider this fall. Read the detailed descriptions of the GIRs to learn more detailed information about these and other discovery subjects.
Fall Registration Instructions and Procedures
Beginning on Monday, August 24, you may initiate online registration for the classes you plan to take this fall. Complete information about how to register can be found on the Registrar's website and you can refer to the Online Registration Student Manual for step-by-step instructions, including screenshots illustrating how to use the online registration system. You will finalize registration when you meet with your advisor.
Finalizing Your Online Registration
You must be fully registered for your fall classes by 5:00 pm (EDT) on Thursday, August 27.
- BRING YOUR LAPTOP to your registration meeting. Having electronic access to your Online Advising Folder and your online Registration Form is necessary. Detailed registration instructions can be found on the Registrar's website.
- You will fill out the online registration form and discuss class selections with your advisor.
- Once you and your advisor agree on your fall semester classes, your advisor will approve your online registration.
- You must then SUBMIT YOUR REGISTRATION form.
- Failure to submit your online registration by 5pm on Thursday, August 27, will mean that you will not get a class schedule to review.
If you will be participating in a learning communities this Fall, you and your advisor will receive special instructions about registering for classes.
- Experimental Study Group (ESG): Questions should be directed to Dr. Paola Rebusco 617-324-7773.
- Concourse: You will be registered by your Concourse advisor. Questions should be directed to Ms. Paula Cogliano, 617-253-2300.
- Terrascope/Mission 2024 (12.000, Solving Complex Problems): You are automatically registered for 12.000 Solving Complex Problems; it will already appear on your Online Registration Form. Questions should be directed to Ms. Elise Chambers, 617-253-4074.
- On Friday, August 28, you can check your class schedule on WebSIS.
- Your schedule is only available online until September 4. This online schedule includes the dates, times, etc. for each subject for which you registered. You should print out your schedule or keep a written copy.
Switching recitations or sections within a subject (i.e., moving from one 8.01 recitation to another): Each Department controls the process for switching recitations.
- See the Registrar's site for information on understanding your schedule and how to change recitation sections.
Subject Listing and
Titles, descriptions, instructors, times, and locations for each subject offered at MIT. Symbols mark subjects that meet various Institute requirements. Use the handy scheduling tool for pre-registration.
Online Add/Drop >
Once Online Registration is submitted, all further requests to add, drop, change units, and change subject registration status are made via the Online Add/Drop application.
Your official academic record. Check often to make sure you're officially enrolled in the subjects you're attending. This is where you pre-register for each term. You can also see your grades and check your progress toward Institute requirements.