DC1: Discover Civil and Environmental Engineering
Make an Impact with Civil and Environmental students and faculty!
In the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (also known as Course 1), we aim to solve some of the world's greatest challenges - clean water and air, sustainable energy, future cities, and how to design creative solutions to complex engineering problems. We strive to make the world a better place by tackling the most pressing global issues.
Participate in Discover Course 1 and make your first week at MIT one that will make an impact on the world and on your MIT experience. Organized around dynamic, hands-on modules and small team competitions, you will:
- Learn about the diversity of study in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Meet faculty and current students, as well as discover exciting opportunities engineers have at MIT - especially in Course 1
During the week, we will split into teams, led by MIT undergraduate students who will serve as mentors. These Course 1 students will host fun activities on and off campus to get you acquainted with the greater Boston/Cambridge area. We plan to explore Boston neighborhoods, enjoy outdoor activities, discover local food, make new friends and more!
At the end of Discover Course 1, teams will compete for prizes and the coveted title of DC1 2019 Champs. Be sure to join in on the fun and learn what we are all about.
Big Engineering... Not engineering as you've seen it before.
In Course 1, we focus on cutting edge research that matters on a global scale. From prototyping designs for clean energy production, designing and creating bio-inspired materials, and finding ways to monitor clean air on the MIT campus, we are changing the face of civil and environmental engineering by tackling global challenges.
We look forward to meeting you at DC1!
Quotes from former DC1 participants.
- "I had a great time last year as a freshman with the program!"
- "DC1 was one of the best weeks that I've ever had at MIT... It not only provided an in-depth exposure to civil and environmental engineering, but I had the chance to interact with faculty, upperclassmen, and develop long-lasting friendships with other participants."
- "The best part of DC1! was being able to participate in all the diverse modules showing off the different parts of Course 1."
- Place: First-year students will be housed in their assigned dormitory.
- Available Spaces: 20
- Cost: No charge.