Working with First-Years
Active listening to students can have a profound impact on their MIT experience.
Here are some helpful tips:
- Allow students to tell their story without interrupting.
- Keep similar feelings or problems from your own experience to a minimum.
- Observe the emotion, voice intonation, and body language behind words.
- Establish consistent eye contact and use affirmative head nods.
- Listen carefully and check for understanding by paraphrasing what is said.
- Ask open-ended questions to open dialogue, rather than asking "yes" or "no" questions.
- Keep notes of your converstation so that you can you recall and follow up on specifics.