DME – Discover Mechanical Engineering
Discover Mechanical Engineering is an exciting hands-on introduction to Mechanical Engineering at MIT. Through DME, you will gain proficiency in prototyping, build a cool electro-mechanical device, learn about MIT, meet other freshmen, have your questions answered by upperclassmen, interact with famous faculty, participate in fun activities, and get a head-start on the MIT experience!
Each student will receive a kit of hardware and tools and with the help of mentors and their peers, they will program, design and build an electro-mechanical project over the course of 2 days.
No previous experience is assumed or needed. DME is targeted towards students who want to get started making wherever they may be. We’ll teach you everything you need to know. You'll be able to use these newly acquired skills for future projects of your own.
In addition to the project, you will:
- Virtually tour cutting-edge MIT research facilities and machine shops
- Receive a hands-on introduction to Computer Aided Design (CAD)
- Meet other incoming freshmen and make friends before Orientation
- Meet upperclassmen and form bonds that will last beyond DME
- Meet distinguished faculty and alumni with in-depth knowledge of MIT & engineering
- Have lots of fun!
What Will We Do?
DME is a headlong dive into the intense nature of life at MIT. It runs from 3pm-8pm for two fun-packed days. A chunk of the time will be devoted to working on the project and learning about engineering through tours and faculty interaction, but they’ll still be time for lighthearted social events and getting to know your peers and MIT. Here's the tentative schedule to give you an idea of the pace and activities:
- Tuesday: Get to know each other, interact with famous MIT MechE faculty, get a hands-on introduction to CAD, and start working on your project closely with your peers and mentors.
- Continue working on the project and integrate the final components, virtually “visit” labs and machine shops on campus, hear students and alumni’s experiences on their MechE journey and get the chance to ask in depth questions while ending with some lighthearted fun.
Don't take our word for it - hear what freshmen from previous years have to say:
"I couldn't have had a better opportunity to learn about MIT and everything that goes on here. Also, the mentors were extremely friendly and I never felt weird asking questions."
"The staff and mentors were fantastic. I've never felt so comfortable with people in only five days of knowing them. I really learned a lot about mechanical engineering and I learned just as much about Boston and MIT life too. It was an awesome program. Thank you for letting me participate."
"It is soooo good! I loved it! I have one regret and that is that it ended."
"I just want to thank everyone for such an amazing experience! I know how much time and effort went into this and it all paid off. You all did an awesome job and were incredibly informative and friendly! Thank you!"
"DME changed my whole perspective of MIT. Besides learning about Mechanical Engineering and building soccer bots, I realized that MIT is a friendly place."
Dates: Tues. August 18- Wed. August 19, 2020