DE: Discover Energy
Have you ever wanted to explore…
- a wind turbine up close?
- the Greater Boston energy community?
- Boston and Cambridge with people who are also interested in energy?
Then come join the Discover Energy FPOP!
Discover Energy is sponsored by theMIT Energy Initiative, the Institute’s hub for energy research, education, and outreach. Through these three avenues, we develop the technologies and solutions that will deliver clean, affordable, and plentiful sources of energy. Our mission is to create low- and no-carbon solutions that will efficiently and sustainably meet global energy needs while minimizing environmental impacts, dramatically reducing greenhouse gas emissions, and mitigating climate change.
Participating in DE FPOP will introduce you to some of the ways you can study energy here at MIT and build relationships with others who share your passion. Specifically, you will learn about the MITEI UROP(Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program) and theEnergy Studies Minor, and meet students in the popular Energy Club
What Will We Do?
Possible activities include:
- Off-shore wind farm tour in Rhode Island
- Plasma Science Fusion Center Tour
- Wind Testing Technology Facility Tour
- World Energy Game Simulation
- DC Motor Building Activity
- MIT Power Plant Tour
- Discussions with MIT faculty, staff, and students
- Look at last year’s schedule here!
Quotes from past Participants:
- "I was so excited that we got to see a wind turbine blade being tested and that we got to stand inside of the blade! That was so cool."
- "I think MITEI is amazing. It deals directly with topics that are interesting to me while also introducing new ideas and topics. The people are great and their goals to help the planet align with mine."
- "The most surprising thing I learned this week was how much I learned. Like, I was seriously shocked (in a good way) with how much I was exposed to and how much information there was."
- "The professors and counselors were fantastic and super informative. The week wouldn’t have been the same without them."
- "It was honestly one of the best experiences I’ve had in a while."
Pictures from past year’s DE FPOP
- Session 1: Big Group Introductions, Small Group Breakout Room Activities
- Session 2: Small Group Activities (Speed Networking, Energy Related Questions etc.)
- Session 3: Faculty Guest Lecturer
- Optional Activity: Movie Night
- Session 1: Race, Equity and Energy Panel
- Session 2: Engineering Build Activity in Counselor Groups
- Session 3: Energy Themed Jeopardy in Counselor Groups
- Closing Optional Activity: Small Group Discussions, Questions with Counselors
Dates: Tues. August 18 & Thurs. August 20