AP & Transfer Credit
MIT Credit Policies at Entrance for September 2022
MIT credit policies for this year’s entering class (Class of 2026) are detailed in this section. Please note that MIT grants credit for only certain AP and other exams. Transfer credit decisions are made by MIT’s academic departments. These guidelines are subject to change for future entering classes.
Many MIT students have done college-level study while in high school. Some of this study is eligible for MIT credit and/or placement, depending on the setting and your achievement as measured by test scores or grades. This section details how MIT grants placement and credit for:
- Advanced Standing Exams (tests taken at MIT during the month of August or in January/February)
- Advanced Placement (College Board Advanced Placement) Exam scores
- International Examinations (including A-Levels, Cambridge Pre-U, International Baccalaureate, French Baccalauréat, Abitur), and
- Transfer Credit for study at another college or university.
Types of Credit Awarded
Credit for previous study is awarded as either the equivalent MIT subject or unrestricted elective credit, at the discretion of the department granting credit. All such credit appears on the transcript with a grade of S and does not count toward term or cumulative averages.
Repeating a Subject
If you receive subject credit for previous study and then register at MIT for any version of that subject, note the following consequences:
- You lose the credit for previous study.
- If the subject meets a General Institute Requirement (GIR) or departmental requirement you must pass the subject at MIT.
- The original credit for previous study can be reinstated only if you drop the matching subject before Add Date (fifth week of the term).
- Credit policies are subject to change for each entering class and are posted in January of the entering year. Information currently provided applies only to the Class of 2026 entering September 2022.
- Address questions not answered here regarding MIT’s policies and procedures on credit for previous study to firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-253-4164.
- Visit the MIT Admissions site for information on how previous study relates to Admissions decisions. We cannot answer questions about qualifications for admission to MIT.