Associate Advisor Position Description
Associate Advisors are MIT sophomores, juniors and seniors who provide academic support and resources to first-year students.
The Office of the First Year matches them with a faculty advisor in either a traditional or seminar-based advising group. Associate advisors compliment the advisor’s efforts by providing the student perspective on MIT academics and student life. Under normal circumstances, associate advisors are expected to be highly visible and accessible to first-year students living in their dorm.
- Help register students fall and spring semesters
- Initiate contact with your advisees at least 3 times a semester
- Maintain contact with advisor throughout the year
- Attend spring and August orientations, and advising meetings during first-year orientation
- Organize social activities with advising group