Skip to Content

Major and Minor Options

In addition to majors, there are also double majors, minors, SHASS interdisciplinary majors, and concentrations to consider. This page aims to demystify these options and provide you with sufficient details to make your choices.

Double Majors

You will declare only your primary major as a first-year. To learn more about the double major option and application process in your second year or beyond, please see the Registrar’s advice on Choosing to double major.


At MIT a minor is a less comprehensive course of study than a major (approximately 72 units). You can find complete information, including a list of available minors in the MIT Bulletin.

In addition to minors in science, engineering, architecture, management, and the humanities, arts, and social sciences, there are several interdisciplinary minors that may prove of interest to you. For further information on interdisciplinary minors, see the Interdisciplinary Undergraduate Programs section of the MIT Bulletin.

SHASS Interdisciplinary Majors

SHASS also offers interdisciplinary majors, which are also referred to as “Major Departures.” These are typically interdisciplinary fields, and may offer students greater flexibility in putting together a program of study. Students who complete an interdisciplinary major receive an S.B. in Humanities, Course 21.

Students interested in an interdisciplinary majors should contact the SHASS Academic Administrator for guidelines and procedures.

See the SHASS website for a list of interdisciplinary majors and information on the proposal process to declare one of these majors.


Concentrations represent a course of study that has fewer requirements than a minor (approximately 36-48 units). All students must have a HASS concentration as part of their HASS requirement. Many majors require concentrations in area(s) within the department. You can also speak to the HASS concentration advisor for any of the areas you are considering.

Pre-Professsional and Graduate Options

MIT Global Education and Career Development (GECD) provides advising for students interested in applying to medical, dental, and other health related professional schools, as well as those interested in applying to graduate and law schools.

The links below direct you to information on preparing for professional school that are provided on the GECD’s website: