How to Seek Transfer Credit
Only the Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry Departments review transfer credit requests over the summer. All other departments review requests after you begin classes. For summer review, you must submit all required materials by July 15, 2022.
Requests for MIT transfer credit include the following elements:
1. An official transcript sent directly from the institution where you studied to:
MIT Transfer Credit Staffor sent digitally to firstname.lastname@example.org
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue, Room 7-104
Cambridge, MA 02139 USA.
Please note: If you submitted a transcript with your MIT application, the Admissions Office automatically forwards it to MIT. No credit can be granted for courses listed only on a high school transcript, even if they were taken in a college or university, or courses documented only by a letter from an instructor or school official.
2. A course description and syllabus from each course for which you are seeking credit.
3. A separate Request for Additional Credit Form for each MIT department in which you are seeking credit. (Please use the custom form linked here, not the one posted on the Registrar’s website.) Fill in all blanks except the last three in each row.
4. Additional supporting materials in certain departments:
- Chemistry: Transcript, syllabus, and list of lecture topics (if not on the syllabus).
- Mathematics: The author, title, and edition of the textbook used, and the sections of it covered by the course. (You may be asked for a photocopy of the table of contents as well.)
- Physics: Students must also “validate” his or her transfer credit by passing an MIT 8.01 or 8.02 Validation Exam. Exams are given during Orientation week prior to the Fall term and in the last week of IAP prior to the Spring term.
- Other materials as requested by the Transfer Credit Examiner.
Once you’ve requested a transcript and gathered the materials listed above, send them to MIT as follows.
- By email: Mathematics, email@example.com (copy to firstname.lastname@example.org);
- By email: Physics, email@example.com (copy to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- By email: Chemistry, email@example.com (copy to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- By postal mail: All non-electronic materials for Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry to Transfer Credit staff in MIT Room 7-104, 77 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139.
Transfer credit approved over the summer appears in your Online Advising Folder, which becomes available in mid-August. The Registrar will begin applying approved credit to your official record after Add Date (fifth week of term) and will most likely be uploaded by final exam period.
After the July 15 Summer Review Deadline:
For credit in other departments, or if you miss the summer deadline:
- Contact the appropriate Transfer Credit Examiner to review your materials. Some will do so in a face-to-face meeting; others will ask you to deliver the hard-copy materials to them.
- Return all signed Request for Additional Credit forms to Transfer Credit Staff in Room 7-104. We will record your pending credit and relay it to the Registrar’s Office for posting.
For more information, address questions to email@example.com.