Skip to Content

Before you Arrive – Spring

This page lists information that you need to do before you arrive for the Spring semester.

MIT ID and Kerberos ID

You will receive you personalized Kerberos ID/Athena account coupon from the Admissions Office. This coupon provides information on how to register for an account. Once you register, you may obtain as obtain web certificates, and be able to access important MIT information. Visit the IS&T web site for complete information and a step-by-step guide on computing at MIT for students. You must also register for MIT Duo two-factor authentication for Touchstone.

You will obtain your MIT ID from the Atlas Service Center. MIT will provide you with your official MIT ID card when you arrive. You have the option of submitting a photo of yourself using the MIT MyCard site ahead of time or when you arrive on campus. To obtain prior to arrival, visit MIT MyCard site and click ‘Submit ID Photo ‘link. The specifications for the size and quality of photo are provided on this site as well. Once you arrive on campus, you can drop off your luggage at the front desk of you dorm (if living on campus) and go directly to the MIT Card Office during open hours to pick your MIT ID.


Transfer students have the option of selecting MIT Housing or off-campus housing. The MIT Undergraduate Housing Office will contact you directly and offer you the opportunity to participate in the Undergraduate Housing System by submitting a Housing Form by the set deadline. For more information, go to​ or contact or (617) 253-1493.

Fraternities, Sororities, and Independent Living Groups: Many students enjoy living in one of our fraternities, sororities, and independent living groups (known as FSILGs). As a transfer student, you may be interested in exploring more about this living option. See the FSILG website for complete information about FSILGs at MIT.

Off-Campus Housing: Boston, Cambridge, and surrounding communities are rich with diversity, intellectual and cultural opportunities. Check out the MIT Off-Campus Housing website at to find information on short-term housing, apartments, realtors rental fees, leases, etc. Access to this site requires valid MIT web certificates. NOTE: housing availability in the city of Boston and surrounding areas is limited, so please do not wait until you arrive to begin your search.  If you prefer off-campus housing, we encourage you to begin your search now. If you have any questions about off-campus housing, please contact the Off-Campus Housing Office at (617) 253-1493; email:

AP and Transfer Credit

The process for obtaining MIT credit for study at your previous university is outlined under AP and Transfer Credit in the First Year at MIT section. MIT will grant credit for some of your previous study, including scores on AP or international exams as well as courses passed at your previous university. Preparation for the transfer credit process should begin prior to your arrival to MIT.

First Year Essay Evaluation (FEE)

All incoming students must take the FEE unless they have already scored a 5 on either the AP Language and Composition test or Literature and Composition test, or a 7 on either the English A or B Higher Level International Baccalaureate (IB) exam. If you have sent one of these scores to MIT, you are exempt from the FEE and do not need to take further action.

The first step in completing MIT’s undergraduate Communication Requirement is the First Year Essay Evaluation (FEE). It assesses your competency in expository writing to provide you and your advisor with a detailed evaluation that will help inform your selection of classes for the first semester and beyond. Based on the results of the FEE, you will be able to enroll in any CI-H (Communication-Intensive in the Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences) class during your first year at MIT, in any CI-HW (Foundational Writing) class, or in 21G.222 or 21G.220, which are writing classes specifically designed for bilingual students. Patty Fernandes of the Registrars Office will contact you by email to arrange for you to take the FEE if you do not have a 5 on the AP.

Major Declaration

Transfer students begin their MIT career in the academic department of their declared major. Upon admission, you will have the opportunity to inform Leslie Bottari what your major is so that she can put you in contact with Undergraduate Administrator of your academic department prior to your arrival. They will assign you to a faculty advisor who will meet with you to register for your Spring classes. The Undergraduate Administrator will be your primary contact in your new department who will be able to help you with your transition to MIT. If you are planning to double major, you must still declare one major initially and may declare a second one later on.

If you change your major selection at any point prior to arrival or within the first few weeks of classes, you need to inform Leslie Bottari as soon as possible to ensure the accuracy of your academic records in the Registrars Office.

If you are interested in double majoring, you may declare it after completing one semester at MIT. Although it is possible for transfer students to double major, it can be challenging to complete dual degrees within 3 years. If you need an additional semester(s) to complete a second major, you are not guaranteed financing and would need to visit your financial aid counselor for guidance.

Financial Aid

MIT Student Financial Services can provide you with all the information that you need about your finances at MT including financial aid, tuition, and fees. If you are applying for financial aid from MIT, you should visit the pages on financial aid for prospective transfers. You and your parents will want to know what the tuition billing dates are for the spring by visiting the Billing section.

Students at MIT are assigned Financial Service Representatives, according to the letters of their last name. They will be able to assist you with your questions about financial aid applications, eligibility, awards, your student account and tuition payments.

Medical Report

Massachusetts law requires new MIT students to meet a number of medical requirements before registering for classes. All new MIT students must give MIT a medical history signed by a physician, have a complete physical exam, and document immunity against certain diseases. Medical Report Forms can be downloaded online and must be submitted by January 19, 2024.